Background
A- A A+

Mineral and Geoscience Department Malaysia was established through the merger of the Department of Geological Survey and Mines Department on 1 July 1999. The merger aims to strengthen and coordinate the activities of the two agencies, which are under the Ministry of Primary Industries (KPU) at the time.

Department history dates back to the 19th century when British colonialists entry that starts in the state of Perak. In 1874, the Department of Mines was established by the British colonial government for regulatory purposes in the Late tin mining. N.G.A. Geddie, a mining engineer, was appointed as the first Inspector of Mines.

Enactment of the state mining was introduced in the state in 1891 to regulate mining operations. In an effort to curb smuggling of tin, the enactment of domestic mineral ore has been introduced for the first time in the state in 1893.

Geological office was first established in 1903 in Kuala Lumpur. J.B. Scrivenor was appointed to the first periodicals in Malaya. In 1908 the Geological Survey Department was transferred to the Batu Gajah, Perak for tin concentrate on field studies and Late Kinta Valley. In 1927, the Office was upgraded to the Department of Geological Geological Survey. Geological Survey Department Headquarters was moved to Ipoh, Perak in 1957. At the same time the replacement of staff with local children started and completed in 1967.

During the formation of Malaysia in 1963, the Department of Geological Survey in Borneo became a British Colony branch of the Department of Geological Survey of Ireland and given a new name, Department of Geological Survey Malaysia Borneo area. A year later, in 1964, established the Department of Mines, East Malaysia.

In 1968, the Geological Survey Department Peninsular Malaysia and Borneo Area Geological Survey Department merged into the Department of Geological Survey of Malaysia under a director based in Ipoh, Perak. In 1973, the Geological Survey of Malaysia Headquarters moved once again from Ipoh to Kuala Lumpur.

To authorize the officers to regulate and control the Geological Geological Survey, Geological Survey Act 1974 was enacted and gazetted on February 17, 1976. In accordance with the requirements of the Federal Constitution of 1957, which authorizes State and Federal Governments separated by jurisdiction provided for by the Constitution , the Mineral Development Act 1994 (APM) and the State Mineral Enactment (EMN) was enacted to replace the Mining Enactment of the States which drafted before independence. APM is a federal legislation to regulate exploration and mining activities while EMN is to administer the state legislature tenement mineral production and revenues associated with it. APM enforcement carried out by officials in the Department of Mines.

Starting March 27, 2004, JMG was placed under the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (NRE) following the restructuring of the ministry.

Online Services

Contact Information

Department of Mineral and Geoscience Malaysia,
Aras 9, Menara PjH,
No. 2, Jalan Tun Abdul Razak,
Presint 2, 62100 PUTRAJAYA.

Tel: (+603) 88716000
Fax: (+603) 88716145/46
Email: helpdesk [at] jmg [dot] gov [dot] my

Stay Connected

Facebook-icon Twitter-icon Youtube-icon Blogger-icon RSS-icon
Mobile-icon jmg mobile qr code mobile apps icon
 
isms

Most Popular Keywords

Your browser doesn't support canvas.